Shaping the Future of Education Together
May 19–22, 2020 in Lisbon, Portugal
This year’s event is focused on the future of work and using open technology to solve the challenges of upskilling, reskilling and delivering life-long learning.
We will hear about innovative uses of technology in higher education, inside corporations and across nations, and learn about advancements in instructional design, course production, and methods for operating, extending and enhancing the Open edX platform.
- Tuesday: long-form tutorials and workshops
- Wednesday/Thursday: 45-minute breakouts and 10-minute lightning talks
- Friday: in-depth summits for developers and instructional designers
- Registration includes light breakfast, lunch, coffee breaks, and a cocktail reception on Wednesday.
- We are also offering Open edX Course Authoring Training on Tuesday as an add-on to the full conference pass.
Our Call for Proposals is now open. We are particularly interested in proposals in the following areas:
- Pedagogy and Instructional Design
- Platform and Product
- Integrations and Extensions
- Devops and Operations
See the proposal form for more details. Of course we will consider proposals outside of these areas as well, but these are the topics we are projecting for the conference.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is covered by the Conference ticket fee?
- 4 full days of the Conference
- Light breakfasts, lunches, coffee breaks and cocktail reception
- Conference program
Where can I can find Conference schedules?
Detailed schedules will be posted on this website closer to the event. Here is an overview of what you can expect:
- Day 1 (Tuesday): Registration. Long-form tutorials and workshops. Add-on training on course authoring (for add-on ticket holders).
- Day 2 (Wednesday): Keynotes, 45-minute breakouts and 10-minute lightning talks. Cocktail reception.
- Day 3 (Thursday): Keynotes, 45-minute breakouts and 10-minute lightning talks
- Day 4 (Friday): in-depth summits for developers and instructional designers
You can also check out the Open edX Conference 2019 schedule from last year, to get a rough idea about topics and Conference structure.
What is the add-on training?
This is the first year we are offering edX-led "Open edX Course Authoring Training" on Tuesday as an add-on to the full conference pass. Note: To attend this training, you will need to purchase a ticket for the add-on as well as a Conference ticket. Add-on tickets are not sold without a Conference ticket.
I have dietary restrictions, can you accommodate them?
We have dairy free, gluten free, vegan and options at all food events. If you have restrictions beyond these please include them on the Registration form and we will do our best to accommodate them.
Will there be WiFi at the Conference site?
Free WiFi will be available. Access information will be printed in the Conference program that you will get when you check in at Registration.
What about transportation during Conference?
All Conference events will be held at the Nova SBE campus which is fully accessible, and the reception will be at a restaurant that is a 10-minute walk from campus. If you have a mobility issue that prevents the walk, please include this on your Registration form and we will arrange transportation.
Note: You will need to provide your own transportation from your accommodation to the Conference site and back. There are public transportation options and Uber is widely used in Lisbon. We will post transportation options on our website in the coming weeks.
Any accommodation tips?
Please secure your own accommodation. While there is no particular Conference hotel this year, we recommend the following:
Note: May is high tourist season in Portugal — hotel rooms will get booked quickly. Please make reservations soon to assure your accommodations.
Do I need a visa to go to Portugal?
You might, depending on your country of citizenship. Citizens of certain countries require a visa to enter Portugal. You can find information about visa requirements on the Portugal Ministry of Foreign Affairs site. Please also contact your local Portuguese consulate for guidance on all current and applicable visa requirements. Note: Visa processing times vary and may be long. Please start your visa process soon.
Will you provide visa support for me?
You will need to take care of your own visa application. However, we are happy to provide you with a letter of invitation in support of your visa application. Please contact email@example.com to request one.